As you all know, Governor Haley has vetoed $453,000 in the DHEC budget for rape crisis centers (Veto 51). Here’s a basic breakdown of DHEC state funding:
- Last year, programs statewide received $403K in appropriated funds and $239K in allocated funds, for a total of $642K. This year, we were able to get a 33% reinstatement, bringing the total allocated funds to $453K, with appropriated funds remained the same, bringing the total funding to $856K. The amount that the Governor has vetoed is the $453K in allocated funds.
- If this veto stands, not only will we not receive the partial reinstatement, but it would result in a 37% reduction in DHEC funding.
The good news is that this veto can still be overridden. House members are coming back next Tuesday to begin working on the budget vetoes. To make sure they override this veto, we need all of your help.
1. Please call your Representatives. Please urge them to override Veto 51, which eliminates funding to sexual assault programs.
Tell them this veto would result in a 37% decrease in state funding for your area program. And let them know how important this funding is to people in your community.
This is a major deal for us. Decreases in these funds will impact the number of education programs we are able to provide in schools and our community at large. It will also impact the number of training programs we provide. It may also impact the outreach we are able to do with underserved populations in our rural areas.
2. Please send a letter and an email to your Senators and Representatives.
3. Please get the word out to your local area and media.
South Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (SCCADVASA) press release: http://sccadvasa.org/about/
We know you are all incredibly busy, but we really need everyone to make sure this veto is overridden. Thank you all for your help. Let’s get this funding back!
Here is a contact list of your local Senators:
Senator Glenn R. Reese: (803) 212-6108
Senator Lee Bright: (803) 212-6108
Senator Harvey S. Peeler, Jr.: (803) 212-6430
Senator Shane R. Martin: (803) 212-6100
Here is a contact list of your local SC Representatives for SAFE Homes-Rape Crisis Coalition:
|State Representatives||Business Phone (Local Area)||Statehouse Office Phone (803)||Office Location (Blatt Building)|